Job Title: Principal Engineer
Company Overview: Here at Ooma we empower people to connect in smarter ways. We do this by creating powerful communication experiences through our cloud-based platform to bring people together at work and at home. Our solutions help small business owners stay connected with their customers and manage their businesses from anywhere. For larger companies we provide customized unified communications solutions to meet their unique needs. At home, we help our customers connect with their loved ones by providing the #1 rated VoIP phone service available. We also provide them with peace of mind though our innovative smart home security solution. At Ooma, all our products and services are priced competitively, because we believe advanced technology should be accessible to all.
Every day, we strive to uphold our brand values:
We care that everyone loves their Ooma experience.
We think big to innovate and revolutionize markets.
We create smarter solutions that uniquely deliver both superior experiences and superior value.
We embrace diversity of thought to make the best decisions.
We respect that problems are best solved by fact-based discussions and positive intent.
We choose to be a force for good in the world.
Working at Ooma means being a team player, while allowing your individual voice to come through. And, you'll receive competitive compensation, benefits and generous company perks.
Ooma is looking for a seasoned Principal Engineer with rich experience in software development, production support, and DevOps. The ideal candidate would wear many hats, including that of a seasoned developer, DevOps, and build and release engineer. This role has built-in growth, and the right candidate will have opportunities to pursue technical and management tracks.
The qualified candidate will join the software team to roll out the next-generation software infrastructure for Ooma in the Communications and UCaaS market.
- Design and develop containerized and automated application platform solutions, focusing on application concerns, migrating applications to containers, and integrating container platforms with automated CI and CD pipelines.
- Design and develop applications with cloud-native principles.
- Evaluate field issues, debug in the production environment, and provide timely fixes.
- Identify and correct bottlenecks and fix bugs.
- Contribute to overall architecture discussions, and be a part of an evolving platform offering
enhanced consumer and business communication services.
- Identify system-level interactions between various legacy components providing appropriate documentation where it is missing by performing “reverse engineering” of the systems.
- Resolve interoperability issues between the Ooma Service components, Ooma devices, and third-party software.
- Work with operations and QA to resolve issues.
- Collaborate with other engineers, architects, and managers in North America and at Ooma’s offshore locations.
- Strong problem-solving skills. Excellent interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills.
- Experience debugging on production environments to provide timely fixes to critical production issues.
- 10+ years of development experience, preferably in Java or C++. Familiarity with multiple programming languages and paradigms is a big plus.
- A track record of building backend infrastructure and components used by live products by paying customers.
- Strong understanding multi-threading, concurrency, and solid grasp of commonly used data structures and algorithms. 5+ years of hands-on implementation experience building applications using Java, Spring, Hibernate and REST Services. Similar experience with other technology stacks can be considered.
- Knowledge of best practices for development of micro services architectures, Kubernetes, Docker and containerization technologies.
- Knowledge of DevOps best practices and experience releasing code to production and working with DevOps engineers. Experience implementing Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery pipelines and automated testing is a plus.
- Understanding of real-time communications, including SIP, RTP, and WebRTC would be a nice to have.
- Experience with certificate management and security concerns.
- Strong DB experience including relational, couchdb, mongodb and large data sets.
- Commitment to understanding the business domain.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or similar fields or equivalent experience.
- Full Medical/Dental/Vision benefits
- 401k Match
- Paid time off
- 9 Paid holidays