Full Stack Software Developer
Company Overview: Here at Ooma we empower people to connect in smarter ways. We do this by creating powerful communication experiences through our cloud-based platform to bring people together at work and at home. Our solutions help small business owners stay connected with their customers and manage their businesses from anywhere. For larger companies we provide customized unified communications solutions to meet their unique needs. At home, we help our customers connect with their loved ones by providing the #1 rated VoIP phone service available. We also provide them with peace of mind though our innovative smart home security solution. At Ooma, all our products and services are priced competitively, because we believe advanced technology should be accessible to all.
Every day, we strive to uphold our brand values:
We care that everyone loves their Ooma experience.
We think big to innovate and revolutionize markets.
We create smarter solutions that uniquely deliver both superior experiences and superior value.
We embrace diversity of thought to make the best decisions.
We respect that problems are best solved by fact-based discussions and positive intent.
We choose to be a force for good in the world.
Working at Ooma means being a team player, while allowing your individual voice to come through. And, you'll receive competitive compensation, benefits and generous company perks.
What are we looking for?
What’s your part in all this? We’re looking for a Full Stack Software Developer to join our growing team! You'll be responsible for building and maintaining new and existing features in our distributed service architecture. We value moving fast and responding to change quickly, so don’t hesitate to propose adoption of new technologies that help us deliver value and functionality to our customers.
Sound like you? Might be time for you to put your headphones on and snuggle down to code with your favourite office dog, or grab a pair programming partner, and code away the afternoon…
We have a talented engineering team - people of all walks of life working on different projects. It’s like in a pirate ship, we may be a bunch of lunatics but we work as one, we pay attention and motivate each other, and often end the day with a good laugh. After all, you’re gonna need a team you can count on!
What skills should I bring to the table?
- Great communication
- Excellent judgement and decision-making skills
- Strong time-management skills
- High technical ability
What should my background be?
- Associate's Degree or Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Business Information Systems, or similar field, or equivalent work experience required
- At least 4 years of hands-on full stack development experience
- Ability to perform code reviews, create detailed plans and willingness to work collaboratively with a development team
- Excellent technical, troubleshooting and analytical skills
- Telecommunications/VOIP experience and an understanding of network topology and telecommunications architecture is a plus
- One or more client-side MVC frameworks with a preference for React
- Experience with RESTful APIs
- Distributed version control - Git on GitHub/Bitbucket
- Linux (CentOS a plus)
- Apache, Nginx
- Familiar with both following and leading an Agile / Scrum process
- js experience is a plus
- Mobile development experience is a plus
Who should I be?
- You love problem solving, puzzles and anything that makes you scratch your head!
- You’re a coder with a good few years experience building stuff, but who isn’t afraid to learn, try new things, and challenge the status quo
- Maybe you’ve spent some time working with real-time distributed systems
- Bonus points if you actually use similar tools today, but if you don’t we’re happy to teach you
- You’ve got a few projects under your belt, and you’ve made some mistakes. We value people who learn from mistakes and improve themselves in tiny ways every day. But of course you don’t make the same mistakes over and over again because you know how to use automated tests and production monitoring to catch them next time around ;)
- You might have your own side projects which display your love for tinkering, trying and learning new things. You’re also active in the open source community, have a GitHub account and are excited to share with us some of the projects you’ve been working on!
- You know how to get your work done without being micro-managed, because you use your initiative to do the right things at the right time. You love taking ownership of the problem and solution, collaborating and seeing it through to delivering value.
- You give your own opinion, ask questions and aren’t afraid to suggest a better solution
- Willing to take calculated risks for the good of the product and company
- You’re very comfortable giving and receiving feedback
- Strong sense of ownership and passion for engineering great products with stellar user experiences
Cool Beans, but why should I work at Ooma Enterprise/Voxter?
- We have an open culture where we openly share our results and where your input is truly valued
- Working here means being part of a team that works hard, fast and has fun! We aim to keep growing as a company, as a team, and as individuals. Our company is made up of truly exceptional people who found a career-making opportunity here
- You get to be an integral part of building an amazing product and client experience, in a company big enough for growth but lean enough to get stuff done!
- Work-life balance is encouraged, and sometimes enforced! ;)
- We offer flexible work schedules, an open vacation policy, and an extended benefits plan
- Our large Yaletown office - complete with snacks and arcade!
- We have a dog-friendly office
- We value the individuality and contribution of each of our team members
- Collaboration, personality, growth, great results, and baked goods are wholeheartedly encouraged
This sounds like me, so what’s next?
Obviously, we’re looking to ensure it’s a solid fit from both sides: we want you to step into a role you love, and we want to offer you a place you’re proud to come to every day. We trust you to do your best work with minimal direction, so we try our best to build an environment of mutual trust and empowerment.
If this sounds like your next role, don’t hesitate, get in touch, apply now, hit that button, get it done and have a chat with us!
- Full Medical/Dental/Vision benefits
- RRSP Match
- Paid time off (PTO)
- Paid Holidays